CACI International is looking for a Part-Time Space Program Software Process and Systems Engineer with strong software systems engineering, software process improvement, and project management experience to work with us at NASA / Johnson Space Center (JSC) in Houston, TX. Usual schedule will be 20 -“ 25 hours per week.
CACI supports the JSC Engineering Directorate across a broad range of space vehicle systems and software technologies with the highest level of technical skills. The successful candidate will have a strong background in software engineering, a great interest in aerospace vehicles and systems, strong interpersonal skills, a desire to work in a very team-oriented environment, have had an outstanding academic career, and most of all, possess a great passion to contribute to our Nation's exploration of space.
A Senior Systems and Process Engineer will divide their time between process automation and infrastructure, software process improvement, software systems engineering, and project management support activities. The individual will work with engineering teams at JSC, the International Space Station (ISS) Program, Visiting Vehicle programs, and Space Exploration projects. The individual will guide project leads in adopting Software Engineering Institute Capability Maturity Model Integrated (SEI CMMI) processes, acting both as a coach and as a contributor. The individual will perform software system engineering, requirements definition, test and verification, integration and certification of flight, ground, and mission planning software for human-rated space flight. Examples are developing and reviewing project work products and participating as requested in process prototypes and investigations of cross-cutting design and implementation issues.
These duties and responsibilities include:
- Software Process Automation and Infrastructure
- Streamline, automate, and document processes (Project Management Support, Software Development / Test, Configuration Management, Requirements Management, and Quality Management) using Windows MS Office, MS Sharepoint workflows, and Linux scripting
- Incorporate metrics collection, analysis, and reporting within process workflows.
- Software Process Improvement
- Assess software processes against NASA's NPR 7150.2B and SEI CMMI standards
- Participate in process improvement efforts to address standards gaps and improve quality and performance by working with domain experts, team members, and sponsors
- Coach software projects on how to both efficiently comply with NASA Software Management standards and tailor the software organization's CMMI Level 3 processes and work products.
- Software Systems Engineering:
- Perform systems engineering in support of software requirements and interface definitions, design performance analysis, and project constraints.
- Perform software integration, test and verification with a focus on identifying, writing, and implementing safety critical off-nominal testing scenarios.
- Lead the safety critical certification of software projects including safety critical requirements analysis, test and verification, and hazard report analysis based upon NASA-STD 8719.13.
This work takes place in a highly stimulating and dynamic environment that is critical in the human space exploration initiative. This position requires a self-motivated, capable person wanting to work in a very team-oriented, friendly, but demanding environment. The ideal individual should have strong verbal and written communication skills, and strong customer relationship skills. Above all, the individual will have a positive, can-do attitude, be flexible, and be willing to take on new assignments and responsibilities
Must be a U.S. Citizen.
Background & Experience (including education, skills work activities)
· B.S. in Computer Science/Engineering, Software Engineering or related disciplines and 7+ years of related experience in software development and/or software systems engineering
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with little supervision.
- Must have experience in full life cycle of human-rated flight projects.
- Must have at least two (2) years project management experience leading agile software development teams.
- Must have at least two (2) years experience leading process change efforts.
- Must have at least two (2) years experience automating processes via MS-Office.
- Thorough understanding of CMMI for Development and its application to large and small software project.
Must be a highly responsible, team-oriented individual with very strong communication skills and work ethic
· M.S. in Computer Science/Engineering, Software Engineering, Technical Management, or a related discipline.
- Certifications in Project Management, Software Quality, and Agile.
- Experience in test-driven development and agile development methodologies.
- Experience on CMMI SCAMPI Teams.
- Experience in maintaining project repositories and data, and communicating project knowledge via custom websites and MS SharePoint.
- Strong software development background, with six (6) solid years of experience developing software and two (2) years developing software in C++ and Python within a Linux environment.
- Thorough understanding of NASA's NPR 7150.2B and its application to large and small software project.
- Experience in embedded software development.
Experience in hardware/software integration and test in avionics test bed and flight certification environments