Oversees the writing of technical reports, brochures, manuals, and/or proposals for internal documentation, client reference, or publications. Recommends overall organization and layout, editorial standards and publication methods. Coordinates publication with outside sources and vendors as needed. Develops department editing standards and styles.
Organizes information and oversees writing assignments according to established graphic standards while maintaining correct order, clarity, conciseness, style, terminology, and grammar. Conducts extensive research on the subject matter including interviewing and observing subject matter experts, researching journals, on-line sources, and other substantive source material to write scientific and technical materials. Reviews documentation and interfaces with appropriate personnel to make certain technical literature is current and accurate in all published hard copy and electronic media. Interfaces with illustrators, photographers, print and web designers, artists, and other support personnel as required to complete assignments. Oversees the editing, composition, production, and delivery in accordance with applicable specifications, standards, and other requirements. Establishes guidelines and standards for text and graphics. Conducts research on the subject matter including interviewing and observing subject matter experts, researching journals, on-line sources, and other substantive source material to write scientific and technical materials. Manages the coordination of ancillary services and interdepartmental activities required for publication, preparation, and delivery. Produces publications using computerized composition and text-management systems. Maintains constantly high qualitative and quantitative output standards to ensure that quality publications are produced. Completes all projects within the established schedules and authorized funding. Establishes and complies with all applicable specifications, standards, and other project constraints. Establishes and achieves annual quality and productivity goals. Provides work leadership for lower level employees.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Typically requires bachelor's degree or equivalent, and seven to nine years of related (technical writing/editing) experience.
- Coordinate with Government Technical Data Package (TDP) and Technical Manual (TM) representatives to design and update UG-60 L/M/V TDPs and TMs.
- Lead the development of installation/maintenance/troubleshooting procedures.
- Research and write plans, reports and briefing input.
- Coordinate development of drawings, photographs, illustrations, labels, and other required graphics materials.
- Develop illustrations for technical manuals, installation instructions, and parts lists.
- Participate in validations and verifications of technical documentation as required.
- Substantial experience and flight training in UH-60 L/M/V rotary wing aircraft.
- Substantial knowledge of US Army UH60 A/L/M/V Publications.
- Experience with MIL-STDs 40051B, 40051C and 40051-1C.
- Proven proficiency in Extensible Markup Language (XML).
- Proven ability to oversee multiple projects of varied size and scope
Requirements - Specific to UH-60 L/M/V Rotary Wing Aircraft
- Minimum of 7 years of aircraft/aviation/ aerospace technical writing experience
- Knowledge of design techniques, principles, tools and instruments involved in the production and use of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Knowledge of aircraft sub-systems, including maintenance operating parameters, systems operations limitations, and technical orders
Requirements - General
- Skilled at interpreting engineering drawings to create an illustrated parts catalog or manuals.
- Use 3D modeling software and engineering drawings to create mark-up packages for Illustrators (i.e. callouts, detail view and locator views).
- Collaboratively help solve complex work process and technical data issues.
- Perform duties on a production team with other subject matter experts.
- Strong skills using Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Highly skilled with authoring software (Arbortext, Xmetal, FrameMaker, Oxygen, etc.)
- Must be able and comprehend engineering drawings, schematics, specifications and technical manuals.
- Able to use a variety of databases and authoring software to create final product
- Current DoD SECRET security clearance or the ability to obtain one.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university
- A valid driver's license
Normal demands associated with an office environment. Ability to work on computer for long periods, and communicate with individuals by telephone, email and face to face. Some travel may be required.
US-Fort Monmouth-NJ-NEW JERSEY METRO